The most usual reason for the hedge trimmer becoming jammed is because of forcing the machine to perform jobs that are suitable for it. Or in other words, work that is too much for it to handle. Not only for a hedge trimmer, but any trimmer with blades when used incorrectly will also get jammed sooner or later, whether it is electric, corded, or gas-powered. Although hedge trimmer jammed is a common problem, if that’s something that has happened to you while you were trimming your hedge then do not panic, because there are ways to get out of it. For that, we need to know a little deeper about hedge trimmer, how they work, and why they become jammed.
In this article, you will get to know more about what is a hedge trimmer and why it gets jammed. So let’s dive in.
This is a guest post article written by Mary Smith
What is a Hedge Trimmer?
Hedge trimmers are awesome gardening tools that come in many different styles and designs which indicates that buyers have a plethora of choices to choose from. They help to sharpen and shape your hedge and make it look more clean and fresh. So, in other words, a hedge trimmer can greatly reduce the time and effort needed to clean your hedge.
If you have a large hedge in your lawn or your garden, you will see that they grow quite fast, and especially during the rainy season. You will get to know the importance of having a hedge trimmer.
Why do we need a Hedge Trimmer?
A hedge trimmer is a very important gardening tool. It keeps your hedge clean and protects it from harsh weather. Only those who have a hedge will know how difficult it is to keep the hedge neat and clean. You need to employ a gardener every time to maintain the hedge.
However, if you have a hedge trimmer then it can make your life way easier. You can shape the hedge the way you want whether it is formal or informal. But it is not always rainbows and butterflies, because after using the hedge trimmer for a few months you will notice that the trimmer starts to get jammed. The likelihood of the blades of the hedge trimmer becoming jammed is quite high.
Why do most hedge trimmer become jammed and what is the solution?
As I already mentioned at the start of the blog that if you force the hedge trimmer, or use it incorrectly then it can become jammed. However, there are some other reasons as well. Sometimes it can be for something as small as some leaves, and sometimes it can be permanent as well if your hedge trimmer jammed has damaged blades. So the solution for each of the above types would be different.
Don’t panic because I will show you exactly how to unjammed a jammed trimmer step by step so that you don’t get stuck in the middle of trimming in the future.
- The first thing you do is to switch off the power source before trying to unjam the trimmer. For a gas-powered one, you will need to unplug it. And for the electric one, you need to turn off the switch.
- Then investigate where the problem started. Check the blades, see if there are any branches or leaves stuck in it. If so carefully remove or cut this debris using a pair of pruning shears.
- In another case, if a large amount of debris stuck between the teeth of the blade, you need to first lay down the hedge trimmer jammed, and push a piece of dowel between to teeth and make sure while doing it you are wearing thick gloves as the teeth of the blades are quite sharp and might hurt you.
- If you find that your machine is frequently getting jammed for no reason then there are definitely some issues with the blade, so check if there are any cracks on the blade or not. And if so unfortunately have to change the blades in order to prevent it from being jammed.
If you want to learn more about Efficient Garden Irrigation – click here
And here are my final tips on how you can prevent your hedge trimmer from getting jammed in the future.
- The blades of the trimmer must always be sharp.
- Blades must be washed every time after use with soap.
- It is recommended by experts to apply WD-40 to the blades to keep them newer for longer.